Wednesday 17 August 2016

[Interview] "Challenging not as an idol but 'Actress Song Joo Hee'"…musical 'All Shook Up' Song Joo Hee




{Introduction omitted}

The reason that makes you challenge in musical.
ㄴ I think of it as a chance. I've trained for acting since I was a trainee, but since my full-time job is a singer, it's uncomfortable to act wholeheartedly. Among that, I got to worry about a musical that I can do both singing and acting, and I got to stand on musical stage for the first time through audition. I only thought 'I have to work hard' instead of 'I should make sure to get it'.

You're reported only as your real name 'Song Joo Hee' at the casting board without modifier 'Hello Venus' or 'Alice'. Is it the part that lay the foundation and determination of as actress Song Joo Hee? From now on when you do activity as musical actress, are you going to delete your group name or stage name and do activity with your real name like now?
ㄴ At first I want to use 'Hello Venus' and 'Alice'. Because it's my position as Hello Venus leader. However, for musical audiences that see a person like me on stage for the first time, just in case I'm worry I'll implant prejudice. I use my real name Song Joo Hee with mind that want to prevent that prejudice. Moreover, I want it to mean as a beginning point in the same place with other actors because I went to audition equally and got the role  without any privilege just like other actors. From now on, I'm planning to be active in musical industry as Song Joo Hee.

There were not lots of chances to confirm your singing ability in singer days. There is challenge as musical actress, isn't there any pressure towards your singing ability? What sort of merit do you think you have as a musical actress?
ㄴ It's a lie to say that there's no pressure. It's because it's not the same genre. Musical song is quite different with song. In singing, throwing away the last sound is a technique but if you do that in musical, it's a big problem. Because of that, it's considerably difficult and it's a learning process for things that I don't know throughout performance practice. Fortunately, there are many pop-style musical song in 'All Shook Up', despite it's my first musical, I think I didn't wander a lot.

The part that I worry the most is the part to connect dialogue to singing. I act as Sandra when I say my line, when I pass to a song, I became Hello Venus Alice or Song Joo Hee, so it's my biggest concern. Now also I didn't think that I'm familiar and did well, but the more I repeat the episode, I learn little by little and at the same time I'm improving.


You're appearing with idol senior and musical actor senior Infinite Kim Sung Kyu. Did you listened to many advises? Or advice by other seniors?
ㄴ All seniors gave me many advises. Actually I'm really fear as it's my first challenge. As I'm an idol, don't the actor seniors hate me. And it's my first activity besides group, it might be difficult to adapt. However fortunately all the seniors liked me. Usually I did broadcast acting mainly when practice acting, I'm familiar with detail acting but I'm lacking with part that has to be revealed on stage. I'm lacking with the one that I have to maximise. Senior Jung Chan Woo told me kindly the method to use body on the stage, for example about arm motion and etc.

After that from performance starting and appearing, I have many concerns. After seeing audiences' reaction, I was confused. When I have many thoughts, senior Ryu Soo Hwa gave advice 'Don't forget the part going back as you and act'. Sunggyu oppa also encouraged me with 'I'm also like that when I debuted', 'Don't be too tense and work hard' and etc. Senior Choi Woo Hyuk and senior Wheesung also cheer me a lot. When practising, I received many help from Gahee unnie (Actress Jung Ga Hee). I'm more clumsier than you thought, so when practising I tend to act silly but she arranged, took care and helped me a lot. When practising, she took care of part that can be missed, so I acquired it more faster.

Musical that you first watched is?
ㄴ It was 'Laundry'. It was a musical that I watched 5 years before I debut. Actually every time I watch it I had been watching in audiences' view therefore instead of helping in musical acting directly, theatre going experience  had an indirect effect. Originally to have interest in musical leads to chance for challenging in musical audition, and now it's because it become a motive for me to stand on stage like this. Now I'l really enjoy doing musical , but I think that also is because originated from influence that I like musical usually.


I heard that Hello Venus members came and support your performance not long ago. It seems that your relationship with the members is close.
ㄴ Controlling condition is really important when I do musical performance. I was a bit sensitive in that part. From the first performance, I had symptoms of cold. I should sleep enough, but I have to go to other schedule on the day that I don't have performance. Come to think of it, it's physically really difficult. Usually the members tend to sleep at dawn, but I have to sleep no later that 12 o' clock at midnight so that I can complete the next day schedule. Thankfully even though it's not sleeping time for the members, they switch off the light when they enter the room and create an atmosphere that I can sleep as comfortable as I can. They even consider in dealing with schedule other than performance. The day after performance is the say for Hello Venus recording, they do delicate considerations such as changing recording order. I'm always grateful towards members.

Do you have the most favourite musical song or scene in this work?
ㄴ I like all the musical song so it's hard to choose only one. For scene, around second half of the play, the conversation scene of Jim and Natalie. The town people hurts about love and in the confused situation, Natalie and Jim appear just the of them on the stage. As a father, Jim consoles Natalie, but he didn't directly console about the situation, he said things like, 'I also had a motorcycle, but I quit because of your mother'. It's a very good scene that tell about basic love. It's the most touching scene.


Sandra is a charming character that makes main character Elvis falls in love at the first sight. Not as Sandra but as Song Joo Hee, rationally choose the most charming character in 'All Shook Up'.
ㄴ It's Dennis. In fact, I have greed the most for that character. If I were a boy, it was a character that 
I really want to do. Just like I really want to act as Sylvia now.

The reason you want to act as Sylvia is?
ㄴ She loves Jim but she expresses her heart that she cannot express, with a musical song. Dennis also has that kind of musical song. A musical song that shows his hidden feeling. Sandra doesn't have that kind of musical song because she like and fall in love suddenly. Dennis or Sylvia has behind story, therefore they have musical song that show their exact feeling. If I act that kind of character while singing, won't I be able to express the feeling naturally. There are not lots of drama about Sandra in the script, so I have to give the meaning personally.


Sandra has a feeling like a scene-stealer. The work itself is a bright tone, but when Sandra comes out it becomes more brighter.
ㄴ The director also requested it. Sandra is a stranger, but when Sandra came out even in the midst of gloominess, the atmosphere wanted to reverse. The village stranger is just Elvis and Sandra.

The most difficult thing while you act as Sandra is?
ㄴ I always listen to word 'Do it without thinking' while I'm acting as Sandra. Sandra is a stranger so, there has to be clear reversal every time she appears in the drama. It seems to be the most difficult in entrance for people that acts. Originally I heard they said to do it just like my appearance. It's because I want to do an acting that is meaningful and has story. That part is still a bit difficult.

Establish a history about Sandra?
ㄴ Sandra in the performance before this, was described as beauty of maturity and intelligent person. I'm more younger than the seniors that took Sandra role previously, so I didn't match with mature feel. So I try to create appearance of young Sandra. She's a newcomer in the society but enter with first job as curator. That workplace was the other area that broke her away from her hometown, and it's a job that needs her to always smile and be kind, so she became a lonely person. And she had uneasy feeling of beginner characteristic.

Sandra saw Elvis and hate him suddenly without any reason. So to make history my own way about that part, before coming to this village Sandra had a belated love for the first time and received hurt from a good-looking man. I'm establishing and acting as a woman that has complex towards good-looking man.

Actually I made a lot of meaning like this but it was really difficult when I heard comment 'do it thoughtlessly'. I understand well the meaning of seniors or director, but it's quite difficult part in entrance of first acting. If there's a career, I think that Sandra is 'functional character' and I would think about the advises naturally, but as it's my first performance, I had greed and I felt a bit difficult.


You've work experience as a singer, you seem to be used to stand on the stage.
ㄴ No. It's unfamiliar. My familiar with the stage itself, but until now the stage that I stand on is in front of camera not audience. I don't have many stage that communicate with audience. I'm familiar to communicate with camera. But musical is a stage that communicate with audiences, and it's my first time on this type of stage. I can see the expression of audiences that seat at the front row but I don't see them purposely. It's still unfamiliar to communicate, so I don't see them purposely in case I think of other things while acting. When I'm familiar, I want to create a stage that communicate while seeing audiences reaction.

Grand Theater Hongik University Art Center has a near stage and audience seat compared ro other theater.
ㄴ That's right. At first I was scared because audiences that sit at two front rows seem to look at me with raised eyes. I thought they're like that because I made mistake (laugh).

You met a character of pretty and charming image named Sandra. Next time, do you have greed to challenge with breaking away from external image or with serious song or acting?
ㄴ Of course I challenge in musical with that kind of greed. I want to communicate with audiences and improve my stage experience. My stage experience doesn't seem to increase when I stand on stage as Hello Venus. Camera technique is to be skilled. It's not established feeling about performance. Originally I made challenge because I had greed for musical genre. As I did a character with different image of mine, I don't think it won't support my performance part. I'm thinking that I can portray it as well as growing fully.


The charm of musical 'All Shook Up' is?
ㄴ It's a drama with overflowing 'love' that is needed the most by this generation. It's a work that can be watched regardless of gender. Actually my mother had watched the performance already and my nephews/nieces also will come to watch it. It's performance that can be enjoyed by anyone from kid until adult. It's a musical that talks about love without condition, so I hope many people regardless of gender and age will come to watch it.

We're curious about your next activity.
ㄴ I'll keep on challenging for musical. If I end this character well, won't I be able to meet the audiences with a more developed appearance. This performance has a total of 40 performances, but next time I want to try as Sandra again after 40 performances end. At that time, won't I be able to do better than now. This month, Hello Venus will release one more music track (Paradise). When the musical ended, we'll do activity on full scale.

Please give a word to your fans.
ㄴ The fans came to watch it. They're also there to support. I'm very thankful. It seems that the fans that came to watch the first performance were really shocked. I really liked it as I can show part that I cannot show usually. Thank to fans, I'm getting the strength every time. I heard that there are people that reserved all 40 performances. I'm really thankful. And soon Hello Venus album also will come out, I want to tell them to wait.




[Munhwa News] "Challenging not as an idol but 'Actress Song Joo Hee'"…musical 'All Shook Up' Song Joo Hee