Friday 2 September 2016

[Article] Alice as Sandra… Things changed by ‘All Shook Up’ ①


From June, girl group Hello Venus member Alice doesn't use her own name. Of course it's only for a while. She is going up the musical stage with her real name Song Joo Hee instead of her stage name. Because of that, to tell exactly she's active with her real name.

Musical 'All Shook Up' is a show musical of jukebox format that is composed of American rock n roll singer Elvis Presley's hit songs. It's getting many popularity after starting performance domestically from June.

On upcoming August 28, Song Joo Hee's first musical challenge will come to an end. Including practice duration, around 4 months are poured in 'All Shook Up' and her deep emotion was extraordinary. 

"Musical was a field that I really want to try and it's an honour that I get to participate like this. I learnt many things, there was also helpful part for myself and the work itself was pleasant. I received positive energy, and I felt glad that I can do it together with good people."

In 'All Shook Up', character acted by Song Joo Hee, Sandra is a museum curator with overflowing intelligent charm. She is a character that get positive courtship with main actor Elvis and infused energy in the drama. Sandra acted by the existing actress is mature and her glamorous charm stood out however to make Sandra a more suitable character for her, Song Joo Hee attempted an approach with different direction.

"I am the youngest among all actress that had acted as Sandra until now. No matter how I do mature acting, I think young feeling really comes out. When I worry, I left the museum curator role as it is and practised with society beginner feeling. It is a relief that the audiences seem to watch me nicely."


The more she participates in performance, Song Joo Hee was used to musical in a certain level. However she is still nervous on stage, and after the performance finishes, the sense of frustration that she can do better always remain heavily.

"Some day I feel sorry in singing, the other day I feel sorry in other thing. Every time, the things that I am sorry for is different. The musical is an interesting work so I got instruction that it cannot be bored but when I concentrate while reading my line, unknowingly there is sometime the ambience loses. I am always sorry in tat part, and I hope the audiences will laugh at this part but if they didn't laugh as much as I thought they will, it seems that it will remain in my head. However I am the type to forget quickly and make effort."

'All Shook Up' lead actor Elvis role was triple cast to act by group Infinite member Sunggyu, singer Wheesung and actor Choi Woo Hyuk. Song Joo Hee that works together with three of them as Elvis, explained how their style are different.

"I worked well with all of them but especially when acting with Wheesung oppa, I am more comfortable and less tense. (Wheesung) oppa accepts acting so well, and he made me feel like Elvis really like me. (Choi) Woo Hyuk is a professional musical actor so he knows many things, he is younger than me but I am depending on him a lot. Sunggyu oppa is like Elvis himself. During (Sunggyu) oppa performance, many fans came so the reaction is good. I think that it is like real Elvis comes and it is fun."


In 'All Shook Up', besides Sandra there are many female character with various personality such as Sylvia, Lorraine and Matilda. Among them, main lead actress Natalie character is a charming character that many actresses have said to act as her once. Song Joo Hee also had greed for character Natalie, however actually the character that she wants to do is Denis who is male.

"Within the play, Sandra is mainly a functional character, therefore I cannot explain why she fells in love with other character and suddenly express her feeling. On the contrary, Denis or Sylvia has musical songs that shows their feelings and easy to get sympathy of the audiences. It is important for an actor to give off meaning in a character but I still don't have many experiences , so I seem to be insufficient in delivering this kind of part to audiences. So, I hope I can act as a character with clear feeling in next musical."

As this is the first musical that she challenges, everything is difficult for Song Joo Hee. The singing method that she has to show in musical is completely different with singing method during singing. Even though she is the main vocal of Hello Venus, it was a part that is hard to adapt.

"I have to sing as Sandra, but every time I song Sandra comes out. The part which I have to change original singing was difficult. Even though I did acting just fine like when practising, when it comes to singing, I have to sing as Sandra but Sandra's feeling is missing so I was worried. I practised to fix that part in priority."


'All Shook Up' performance that can be watched domestically, doesn't remain that much now. Song Joo Hee introduced this work directly for people that still has not watch 'All Shook Up'.

"It is a good work to be watched by everyone regardless age and gender. Not long ago, I saw an old couple came to watch it and it was really beautiful. In the play, there is family-like love and it is a performance that carry pure love that is hard to see these day. It was mid summer heat but please come to watch it because it is a good work."

[Jeonja Shinmun] Alice as Sandra… Things changed by‘All Shook Up’ ①

Post response:

1. [+1,-0] Both actresses that act as Sandra are charming, beautiful and interesting^^I also really like Denis!! Denis and Sylvia's musical song are really impressive and I am moved!! Thank you for cool performance fighting!!


Part 2: Alice, musical and Hello Venus