Friday 2 September 2016

[Article] Alice, musical and Hello Venus ②


Instead of activity name Alice, the reason Song Joo Hee uses her real name is it was her decision exclusively for musical. There was a lot of case that the fact that Song Joo Hee is Hello Venus member Alice is still not known among audiences.

"The image held by the name Alice was likely to hinder in musical. Moreover, I also join after going to audition, but I'm afraid the audiences will judge me with the reason I'm an idol. So I use real name for this musical. I wanted to start at the same place with other new actors."

Just like other new actors, it's difficult to portray musical long-term race for Song Joo Hee. Because of pressure to have to make the best condition before performance, rather she underwent hardship in condition control, and the burden to do well also was great. Nevertheless, when seeing positive review of audiences, fatigue disappear and she gain strength.

"I am the type to search for almost all review. Even while seeing unpleasant evaluation, I tried to fix it. Among (Choi) Woo Hyuk fan, there is someone that came to watch performance frequently and he/she also came on my first performance. That person that always watched me with expressionless face, raised his/her thumbs to me on the forth performance. I kinda feel proud, and during fan sign event I thanked him/her first and he/she encouraged me to do well until the end. It seems that I really gained a lot of strength at that time."


Either theatre or musical needs to face with audiences' face instead of camera on the stage. Veteran actors meet audiences' eyes purposely and there is also case of them doing communication often however it is a difficult job for still novice actress Song Joo Hee.

"On the stage, I try not to see audiences' face if possible. When we make eye contact, it seems I keep on flustered and caught up. When I see actors that always face the audiences, I think that it seems to be really fun. Anyway, I need to communicate with audiences so I want to try it at least once but I cannot bring myself. It's really difficult now, and I plan to tried it once on my last performance."

Hello Venus members and family also came to watch the performance for supporting Song Joo Hee. The support of members and family became a motive power that can unleash a more developed musical acting for Song Joo Hee.

"The members are really surprised at my appearance. Usually, I'm shy but they are amazed to see I'm like that on stage. After my mother saw the performance, she said my energy is weaker than other musical actors and she pointed out a lot. Just like other actors, I hope the stage can be felt cold during my part. As I'm still inexperienced, I really felt lacking in that part."


Song Joo Hee went side by side for musical and album preparation because Hello Venus are preparing for comeback with new album on second half of year. She will feel physically difficult but she has positive mind that she can do the work that she like at once.

"I am in a situation where I'm still preparing for new album. It's physically difficult but because I do work that I like, it is fun. Musical is a field that I really want to try, and the more I do it, I felt more pleasant. For me, it seems to be more better than doing it side by side with broadcast."

Song Joo Hee will return as Hello Venus leader Alice after all 'All Shook Up' performance finishes. However if she has chance whenever, she plans to go up stage again as musical actress Song Joo Hee.

"Even though there are people that know Hello Venus Alice, there are not many people that know my voice. From now on, I hope I will get chance so that many people will know, and I want to keep on doing musical too. At first I have many worry like what if it is difficult, how to deal if I get into slump. However, I did it really interestingly, next time I want to try for musical."


In the end, Song Joo Hee conveyed her grateful heart towards fans that sent generous support for her.

"When I said I'll be in musical, my fans that know my timid character were really worried. There is also someone that buy all 40 performances in advance to support me. I'm really grateful. Thanks to fans' support, I really gain strength. Moreover, it has been a while for Hello Venus comeback and a new album will come out soon so please wait for a little while"

[Jeonja ShinmunAlice, musical and Hello Venus ②


Part 2 : Alice as Sandra… Things changed by ‘All Shook Up’